Implement a UML profile for W3C simple XSD data types. - Complete
Write Java code to generate XSD files from UML Class Diagrams. - Complete
- Write Java code to reverse engineer XSD files into UML Class Diagrams.
Cross-Platform Development Prototype:
The design has been initially deployed using XSLT to convert the
Argo-provided XMI into an XSD based on the rules outlined in the
design wiki. Initial implementation recommends the use of the xsd.xmi profile
which should be added to the project and used for all standard XML Schema
primitive data types. The following are the related files:
- Optional (but recommended) to be added as a profile to support simple Schema data types.
- XLST used to convert XMI exported by Argo into and XSD file.
Currently assumes the XSLT is in the same physical folder as the
- An example data model rendered in ArgoUML to prove out the different
scenarios outlined in the design document on the Wiki.
- Exported XMI from the .zargo file above.
- Generated output from applying the XSLT to the XMI file above.
Updated - Beta 0.1.1 Released!
The above cross-platform prototype was implemented in ArgoUML's Module framework
and is now available as a beta to be installed alongside current ArgoUML installations.
For questions, comments or issues, please submit issues
via the ArgoUML project bug tracker located at: http://argouml.tigris.org/project_bugs.html
At a future point in time we hope to have this XSD generator included
with the base product installation, but for the time being, users must download and install the module separately.
The following steps will assist users in this process.
- Download and Install ArgoUML 0.34 or higher - Navigate to the ArgoUML Homepage and download a copy of the base tool.
- Download the XSD Jar File - Obtain the .jar file from the project SVN source code repository in the /trunk/build/ directory or simply follow this link: argouml-xsd.jar
- Download the XSD Profile - Obtain a copy of the XSD Profile which can be used by data modelers to associate simple data types with those defined in the XML Schema standard. It can be found in the same location in the SVN repository above or downloaded directly from this link: xsd.xmi
- Copy Files to ArgoUML Installation Directory - While ArgoUML is closed (not running), copy the two files listed above to the /ext directory where ArgoUML is installed.
- Add XSD Profile to Project - Once ArgoUML is started, simply add the profile to your project by going to "File" -> "Project Properties" -> "Profiles" Tab. Choose the "Load profile from file" button to add the xsd.xmi file just downloaded and add it to your project by clicking on the ">>" button.
That's it! The next time you start ArgoUML, the XSD Generate will automatically be loaded and be available from the "Generation" --> "Generate All Classes" menu.
PLEASE see the wiki pages for the anticipated design constraints/assumptions before submitting any bugs :-) Thanks!